A medical science liaison (MSL) is a healthcare consulting professional who is employed by pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and managed care companies. Medical science liaisons are also referred to as medical liaisons, medical science managers, regional medical scientists, and regional medical directors.
BEGINNING A CAREER AS A MEDICAL SCIENCE LIAISON:
A career as an MSL is highly regarded and often sought after. If you are interested in pursuing a career as an MSL, the following factors will affect your chances of being hired as an MSL:
- Education level
- Scientific acumen
- Communication skills
- Ability to present scientific information to peers
- Clinical and/or patient care experience
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Availability and willingness to travel
- Prior experience as a Medical Science Liaison
WHERE TO BEGIN:
- Spend time researching the profession.
- Reach out to individuals currently working as MSL’s and ask questions about their job.
- Put together a resume that includes detail on your scientific background and communication and presentation skills.
- Research the MSL job market.
- Consider an internship with a pharmaceutical or biotech company that will provide you with experience.
- Consider additional training and certifications that can be used to enhance your resume.
- Seek contract assignments that are more likely to accept an individual with no prior MSL experience.
- Contact us for further suggestions and job counseling!